Specialization in Design Thinking and Innovation (4 Online Courses)
Professor Jeanne Leidtka provides insight on earning your Specialization.
Break through your messiest business problems. Find valuable insights hidden in plain sight. Set new standards for your teams and lead your organization and career to new heights.
Darden’s Specialization in Design Thinking and Innovation program empowers you to become a creative catalyst with a systematic approach to innovation in the workplace. Whether you work in business, healthcare, education, or a nonprofit, this hands-on training in the core principles of design thinking and leadership will help you solve your business challenges. Led by Darden’s world-renowned faculty and incorporating cutting-edge insight from the Batten Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, this program is designed to give you the leadership tools to broaden and deepen your work and to teach you the how-to of design thinking.
Accelerate Your Skills
- Adopt a lean-thinking, human-centered design mindset, and upskill your experience
- Position yourself and act as a forward-thinking leader in your organization
- Conserve resources and generate better outcomes using a research-based approach to problem-solving
- Break mental models to discover opportunities that already exist within your organization
- Build the self and employee management skills that allow innovation to flourish
- Surface, define, and refine viable ideas quickly so that you spend less time and brainpower on stalled ideas
- Share cross-departmental insights that break down silos, trigger collaboration, and increase organizational momentum
- Use a step-by-step process for solving your most pressing challenges, whether they be increased visibility for new products, improved resource allocation, or honing your ability to inspire and help the customer you most want to serve
Program FormatTaught by Darden faculty members who are veteran practitioners of design thinking, the Specialization in Design Thinking and Innovation program includes four 5-week project-based online courses:
- Design Thinking Part I: Insights to Inspiration
- Design Thinking Part II: Ideas to Action
- Discovery Tools
- Creating the Innovative Workplace
Design Thinking Part I must be completed before taking Design Thinking Part II.
In addition to the online classroom experience—videos, readings, and assignments—mentors facilitate conversations and classmates give and receive feedback through online discussions. Keep in touch with your peers long after the course is finished through Design at Darden, a unique portal that provides ongoing information and resources to course alumni. And if you choose to take all four courses, you’ll earn a specialization that demonstrates your commitment to and competence in leading design thinking efforts. Review our policies and procedures for participating in online courses, and find answers to frequently asked questions.
Select a course above to learn more or register.
Tuition & Specialization
Tuition for each online course is $395. Payment is required in advance of the program and is not refundable or transferable after the start of the program.
By taking all four courses, participants will earn a Specialization in Design Thinking and Innovation.